I have a horrible habit of not watching movies until they’ve been around for years. I do however love music documentaries. I have a handy list of ten of my favorites (in no particular order). If I was resourceful I’d host a monthly series and highlight each one of these…oh wait, I tried that, and no one was even remotely interested. Oh well, more time for me to browse the next set of doc’s on my list. In the meantime, I think you’ll find some gems here. Check em’ out!
1. Still Bill: Released: October 15, 2009
2. Timeless: Suite for Ma Dukes: Released: October 25, 2010
3. Fela: Music is the Weapon : Released: 1982
4. What Happened, Miss Simone?: Release date: January 22, 2015
5. Thunder Soul: Released: March 13, 2010
6. The Future is Unwritten Joe Strummer: Release date: November 2, 2007
7.Beats, Rhymes & Life: Release date: July 8, 2011
8. The Hip-Hop Fellow: Released: April 5, 2014
9. Dave Chappelle’s Block Party: Released: March 3, 2006
10. Our Vinyl Weighs A Ton: Released : February 26, 2014
Devoya Mayo is Co-Creator of The Happy Black Girl
Get To Know An HBG is her favorite column to write.
You can contact her directly at email@example.com