Folks stay talking about The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. Once a week, we take a different approach and highlight the fascinating array of happy black girls and guys (hbg’s) that we know and love. Sometimes we feature those we admire from afar as well. It’s our humble attempt at sharing the wealth of information that comes our way about great people. Word up.
This week I’m delighted to feature my old friend Leonard Longmire. He’s also been known to go by the nom de plume Mr. Leonard. Personally, I don’t think I’ve ever called him by either of those names. I usually stick with Len or the ever popular Lenny Len. He’s never complained, and I feel like they fit his personality. Now to give you some context about Len. He and I are both Aries. In Astrology, Aries is the first sign of the Zodiac. As such they are said to carry the traits of being leaders, sometimes egocentric, sometimes stubborn, creative, forward thinking, blah blah blah…Now I don’t know how much of that I believe or not, but I do know that we both have strong opinions on matters and sometimes (gasp) we’ve not seen eye to eye on things. Always something small though, never anything of substance. But you know what? Len never allows any of that to intrude upon his attitude towards me or anyone else for that matter. He doesn’t let external things hinder his essence, which in my opinion is a true HBG character trait. Word. But what do I know? You should check out his interview and decide for yourself. Enjoy~
::GET TO KNOW AN HBG ( HAPPY BLACK GUY) :: LEONARD LONGMIRE::
1. Please tell the readers, who you are, where you’re from, stay, dwell, kick it…whatever. Greetings! I’m Mr. Leonard L. Longmire. Born and raised in the Buckeye State and home of F-U-N-K, Alliance, Ohio. Now residing in Fresno, California.
2. Do you wake up happy? Through the grace of God I wake up happy & thankful for my health, mind & spirit.
3. What’s your 1st line of action when you’re happy and it unexpectedly gets high jacked? Music! Nothing a little Coltrane and Miles Davis can’t fix. Focus only on the things you can control, Not things that you cannot!
4. Five things in your HBG “I’m gone be alright” Survival Kit.
- Cookin’ With Mother Nature (Health Book) by Dick Gregory
- Clean Underwear
- Sesame Sticks
5. Tell us a little bit about any current projects you might be involved in. Supporting the Fresno Arts community by working with CartHop, ArtHop and other Non- Profit organizations.
6. Share something you think the 12 year old HBG version of yourself would appreciate about you now. I think 12 year old Lenord would appreciate being a DJ. Having the opportunity to be around so many talented artists while also being able to connect with so many people through the spirit of music.
7. In your opinion, how important is the company you keep? Extremely important! It’s a blessing to be able to connect with people. You never know what special person or message may enter into your life. Blessings are not to be taken for granted.
8. Anyone ever give you the side eye because they didn’t get you? Or just plain wasn’t ready for you? Details… Details! Yes, Many times! You have to pay a price for being eccentric, cool or simply different. I’m always thinking outside the box of how I present myself and communicate. When I first moved to Fresno and started interviewing for jobs I would dress like an executive thinking that my positive polished appearance would work to my advantage. Instead it was just the opposite. Interviewees thought that I was there to take over their management position. I told the interviewer that if he looked closely to my application the job stated Part-time customer service representative! I also had a lady corner me in an elevator at a law firm where I was a legal courier and she said “How do you afford to dress better than the attorneys in the office working as a courier”! I guess appearance is everything!
9. Any upcoming events etc …that you’re involved in that you’d like to share with the folks? Every Friday evening you can catch me Spinning Rare grooves along with a blend of eclectic Hip-Hop over at Pinot Wine Bar & Bistro in the Tower District.
10. Last but never least…any final comments and or shout outs? Just Remember “Sometimes you’ve got to Stop doing Permanent things with Temporary people”!…..Most Importantly don’t let anyone get in the way of you creating your own happiness.
Peace & Blessings!
Devoya Mayo is Co-Creator of The Happy Black Girl
Get To Know An HBG is her favorite column to write.
You can contact her directly at firstname.lastname@example.org