Folks stay talking about The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. Once a week, we take a different approach and highlight the fascinating array of happy black girls and guys (hbg’s) we know and love. Sometimes we feature those we admire from afar as well. It’s our humble attempt at sharing the wealth of information that comes our way about great people.
This week we highlight actor, car enthusiast, proud father and real life happy black guy, Jayhari Mason. I’m pretty sure I met Jayhari while spinning records in a dimly lit party (my favorite kind). I wasn’t rockin the hits or anything, just playing stuff I was into at the time, because I am selfish like that, when it comes to music.
Anyway, homeboy walks right up to me and the first thing I notice is that hbg smile of his. You know the hbg smile when you see it. In the words of Shabazz Palaces it’s a feeling. Anyway, he’s head noddin and commentin on my musical selections and well… I couldn’t contain myself & started to geek out, cuz he really knew what he was talkin about. Once you get me to nerd out in your presence it’s pretty much a wrap after that. We’ve been friends ever since. Anyway, here he is in his own words. Sit back for awhile and get to know him, nerdin out is optional. – devoya
::GET TO KNOW AN HBG ( HAPPY BLACK GUY) :: JAYHARI MASON::
1. Please tell the readers, who you are, where you’re from, stay, dwell, kick it…whatever. Hello, I’m Jayhari Mason, born and raised in Fresno, Cali and now living in a small Texas town called Texarkana, but spend 90% of my time traveling the country .
2. Do you wake up happy? Although I’m not really a morning person, I do wake up very happy because I woke up, and that’s not promised. Oooooh but Lord knows, I have my days where my “happy” is questionable.
3. What’s your 1st line of action when you’re happy and it unexpectedly gets high jacked? I usually remove myself from the element or environment that is drawing my happy from within me as if it’s a vortex. If I’m not immediately able to remove myself, I work on my removal and find various ways to work around it and remain happy, such as reading one of my favorite lifestyle magazines called Heavy Hitters.
4. Five things in your HBG “I’m gone be alright” Survival Kit.
My “Don’t forget why you’re doing what you do…” reminder.
My “Life shouldn’t be taken too damn seriously…” reminder.
My “No moment in this lifetime is ever a waste of time, only a lesson…” reminder.
My “Don’t let any person determine how happy I should…” reminder.
My “No difficulty in this life journey is permanent…” reminder.
5. Tell us a little bit about any current projects you’re involved in. Currently I’m only involved in a project that pertains to my occupation as a contractor working on and teaching the operation of heavy armored tactical vehicles.
6. Share something you think the 12 year old HBG version of yourself would appreciate about you now. 12 year old Jayhari would appreciate knowing that he is going to have some immensely great times in his life such as traveling and driving cool cars like a 2011 Season NASCAR vehicle.
7. In your opinion, how important is the company you keep? The company I keep is very important to me because I’ve come to the realization that each person one comes into contact with throughout their lifetime leaves an impression, whether the vibe is positive or negative. So, one has to choose and be mindful of what kind of vibes they receive and retain.
8. Anyone ever give you the side eye because they didn’t get you? Or just plain wasn’t ready for you? Details… Details! Have I been given the side eye?? Oh yeah!! Several times… I’ve thrown quite a few people off with my eclectic personality, women in particular. In that, my sexuality has come into question. With today’s society influencing so much of what people’s perception of others is to be, the misperception of me is commonplace.
Most women can’t wrap their head around the fact that I treat them as a gentleman should and I’m into what I’m into.
When I share that I’m into cars, cigars and good liquor that doesn’t throw them off much. But when I mention that I’m also into acting, singing, interior design, and shopping or that I like to drive really cool fast rides, involve myself in a good stage or film scene, sing a hook on a friend’s track, get comfortable in my home or look fly and unique when I step out, well… It’s all question marks then.
So yes, I’ve been given the side eye many times because they just don’t me.
9. Any upcoming events etc …that you’re involved in that you’d like to share with the folks? At the moment, I have no upcoming events or anything else. I don’t have much time since I’m currently on the road going from site to site. OH WAIT!!!! I do have an event coming up… My 36th birthday in August!!
10. Last but never least…any final comments and or shout outs? Hmmmm… I’ll just say this to anyone out there that’s going through something or dealing with someone that’s preventing them from arriving to their “Happy”.
Remember that whatever difficulty you’re going through at any given time in your life is temporary because you are supposed to learn from it, and then you can advance to the next level in the game of life.
If you’re dealing with someone that completely dries up your well of positive energy to critical levels and won’t replenish it, no matter how much you love them, you may have to remove yourself to take care of yourself, because if you don’t take care of you first, you’re no good to them or anyone else. Don’t let anything compromise the security of your happiness.
Oh yeah, I also want to give a shout out to all those who are happy, searching for their happy, and those who are simply choosing to remain happy regardless of the circumstances.
Much love from your Happy Black Guy…