Folks stay talking about The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. Once a week, we take a different approach and highlight the fascinating array of happy black girls and guys (hbg’s) we know and love. Sometimes we might even feature those we admire from afar too. We gotta share the wealth of information that comes our way somehow.
This week we’re featuring the creative talents of Ms Christy Packard ( Pink Stitches). We met about a year ago during the Fresno Handmade Bazaar. Her spirit spoke to me instantly. She reminded me of someone I probably would have grown up with in the same neighborhood, but didn’t necessarily hang out with. You know, approachable but too cool to imagine being friends with. Anyway, as someone who loves crafts I was mad excited to see a sister girl learning to sew and sharing it with others. There ain’t that many of us in my neck of the woods, so of course I had to get to know her. Now you can too! – Devoya
::GET TO KNOW AN HBG ( HAPPY BLACK GIRL) :: CHRISTY PACKARD- FLORES:
- Please tell the readers who you are and where you’re from, stay, dwell, kick it…whatever. I was born and raised in Fresno, California! I’ve never lived anywhere else.
- Tell us, do you wake up happy? I often do; more times than not I’m happy when I get up. That is until I remember that I have to tend to the family, the house, the cats, etc. hahahaha! It’s all love though. After all the tending, I get to sew!
3. What’s your 1st line of action when you’re happy and it unexpectedly gets snatched away? I must say that I always retreat. I retreat so that I can evaluate what happened to make sure it doesn’t happen again.
4. Five things in your HBG “I’m gone be alright” Survival Kit. My sewing machine; sewing really does keep me sane. Don’t even get me started on how much I love fabric…its goes hand in hand you know…
“Martin” DVDs; I have to laugh and no matter how many times I watch my Martin DVDs (I have every single Martin episode ever made) I laugh…I need laughter; everyone does…
Books; I love to read…I love to read…Did I say I love to read?..But NO romance novels!!!!!
Paper; I have to write, doodle, jot down notes, etc…I am a stationary kinda gal….
Pens; all kinds of pens in all colors….
5. Tell us a little bit about Pink Stitches. Pink Stitches literally just happened one night. My Mom’s sewing machine just popped in my mind; I don’t know why. I still feel to this day that me and the whole sewing thing happened very strangely. I mean why did I all of a sudden remember that I had a sewing machine? In fact, I wasn’t even totally sure if I did at the time; I just had images of my Mom’s sewing machine in my head! Turns out I did, grabbed it out of the garage and the very next day I was sewing things up with her sewing machine. (I spent the first night learning how to thread it) That was three years ago.
6. Share something you think the 12 year old HBG version of yourself would appreciate about you now. My 12-year-old self would greatly appreciate how my attitude has changed for the better. I must admit that my attitude hindered me a lot in my youth. I’ve definitely grown out of that!
7. In your opinion, how important is the company you keep? The company you keep is just as important as the air you breathe. Bad company always begets bad times. It never fails
8. Anyone ever give you the side eye because they didn’t get you? Or just plain wasn’t ready for you? Details!… Details! This has been happening to me since I can remember; even in childhood. This is the very reason why I developed an attitude as a young woman. I had to realize that people really do dislike what they don’t understand, feel they can never be, or ever be a part of. I also had to understand that it was THEIR issue, not mine. And “they” STILL ain’t ready!
9. Any upcoming events etc.…that you’re involved in that you’d like to share with the folks? Not at the moment, just this one! (smile)
10. Last but never least…any final comments and or shout outs? Happy Black girls do exist! I’m one of ‘em! Shout out to ALL of us!
Sidenote: It is our sincere hope that we might one day inspire Pink Stitches to create an HBG inspired handbag or headwrap or somethin. So y’all hit that sista up and buy stuff and tell her we sent ya!